Transportation on the Lido and in Venice
The waterbus or “vaporetto” is the main form of transportation in Venice. If you make regular use of public means of transportation the best option for you is to purchase a Travel Card (IMOB Card) that covers the vaporetto service in the whole city of Venice (+ islands) and the bus service on Lido.
You can buy your IMOB card at the price of €40,00 at the ACTV Ticket Office near the vaporetto stops in Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta on Lido. You will need the following documents:
- a valid identity document with picture
- the ACTV form (ask for it at EIUC Secretariat) that you need to fill in with your personal data
At this point, with your IMOB card, you can choose three options:
- To buy the vaporetto/bus tickets at the reduced price of €1,30 (instead of €7,00)
- To buy the monthly ticket for vaporettos and buses in Venice-Lido at the price of €30,00 (please note that the monthly ticket is issued on the basis of the calendar month, i.e. 1-30 September)
- To buy the 10 journeys booklet at the reduced price of €11,00
If you are under 26 years-old, you can have a student’s reduction on the cost of the IMOB and of the monthly ticket price: the IMOB card will cost you only €10,00 but it is compulsory for you to charge it with 2 monthly tickets (e.g. for October and November 2012). The monthly ticket will cost you €22,00 and will be valid for vaporettos and buses on Lido for the whole calendar month.
In order to demonstrate that you are a student in Venice, please bring the following documents with you:
- your identity document with picture
- the specific statement/letter in Italian that you will find in the welcoming pack
- the ACTV form that you need to fill in with all your personal data (please ask the EIUC Secretariat)
If you are over 26 years-old you are not entitled to student reductions and you will have to purchase the ordinary IMOB card and tickets.
To reach Venice (main islands) from the vaporetto stop at Santa Maria Elisabetta, you can take the following vaporettos:
- Line 1, which will take you to San Marco (San Zaccaria stop) and up the Grand Canal through Accademia, Rialto and all the way to the railway station (Ferrovia). It is a very romantic trip, but takes a long time.
- Line 5.2 which goes around the city to Piazzale Roma and the railway station through the Giudecca Canal
- Line 5.1 which goes round the city to the railway station and Piazzale Roma on the northern side of Venice (Hospital, Fondamenta Nove)
- Line N which runs all night long with the same itinerary as Line 1
Please check at the Santa Maria Elisabetta vaporetto stop for further information on routes and times or visit the website: http://www.actv.it/ .
Your monthly vaporetto pass is also valid for the buses on the Lido. Bus Line V goes from Santa Maria Elisabetta to San Nicolò, in a circular line. It leaves from S. Maria Elisabetta every 20 minutes, at 00, 20, 40 past the hour and from the Monastery at 05, 25, 45 past the hour.
The Alilaguna is the water shuttle assuring connection between Venice (San Marco square), Lido, Murano and the city’s main airport “Marco Polo”. (http://www.alilaguna.it)
Traditionally, the Masterini move around the Lido by bicycle!! You can buy second hand bike in two bike rentals in Lido:
|Giardin Anna Valli, Piazzale Santa Maria Elisabetta, 2/A||Tel. +39 041 276 00 05|
|Barbieri rent bike, Gran Viale||Tel. +39 041 526 14 90|
If interested, please hurry up! Bike shops generally want to get rid of the bikes they rented out during the Film Festival. It is worth trying to negotiate prices.
For those arriving by car, there are ferry-boats connecting the Lido to the Tronchetto station in Venice (and vice-versa). Ferry-boats leave the Lido/Tronchetto in either direction every 50 minutes and the trip takes 35 minutes.